Monday, October 8, 2007

Praise to the Holy Trinity

Three years ago I started a series of sermons based on St. Peter's first epistle. I needed a hymn to go along with the first three verses of the first chapter which read:

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: grace and peace be yours in abundance. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. (1 Peter 1:1-3)

I found nothing suitable in the hymn book, so wrote this. It may be sung to Duke Street (Jesus Shall Reign Where'r the Son)


Praise to the Holy Trinity
Praise to the Father, Spirit, Son
Praise for salvation, full and free.
Praise to you God for all you’ve done.


Praise to the Father, God above
Who chose me from eternity.
To be his child, his son of love,
That I might live from sin set free.


Praise the Spirit, who gave me birth.
Who sanctified me, cleansed my soul.
You made me see my soul’s great worth,
You washed my heart and made it whole.


Praise to the Son, who for me died
It was for me your blood was spilled,
With your love I am satisfied.
In your presence I am so thrilled.


Praise to you, Holy Trinity
Praise to you, Father, Spirit, Son
Praise to you through eternity
Praise to you,
O great Three in One


©
2004 Willard Paul, All Rights Reserved

No comments: