Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Preciseness

I read a lot — and that is an understatement. I read blogs, newspapers, magazines, bulletin boards (the bbs kind as well as those in supermarkets or wherever), and books. I also listen a lot — perhaps not as much as I should.

Some of the things I read and some of the things I hear really make me wonder about the intellectual capacities of the writers and speakers. I am not being an intellectual snob when I say that because some of the speakers and writers are far more intelligent and much better educated than I; however, for one reason or another they are not able to articulate their thoughts precisely.

Some do not use precise language because they believe they have to talk down to their audiences, addressing the lowest common denominator. Some of our modern Bible translations and versions are like that. I am thinking particularly of The Living Bible, The Message, and the Contemporary English Version. These are not alone, just representative. Even the more widely-used New International Version uses imprecise language, often noting the correct translation in the notes.

Others do not use precise language because they are careless. That is usually the case with me. One of my pet peeves in this area is the incorrect and improper use of me/I. Another one, of which I am more forgiving, is the confusion of who and whom. Those are common mistakes and do not ordinarily make any difference. However, when we make theological statements carelessly we can leave people with an erroneous understanding.

Some do not use precise language because their perceptions of what they are saying are different from ours. For instance, Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses will use the same terminology as we do (in some cases) but with different meanings attached. When "New Age" adherents talk about "the Christ within you," they are not at all speaking of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

I have, on occasion, corrected someone's misstatement by saying, "You meant such-and-such, didn't you?" only to have them reply, "Whatever." No, it is not whatever. If your physician talked to you like that, you would be incensed. If he told you the pain in your abdomen was a tummy ache, you would think he either had reverted to his childhood or thought you a child.

There is no room for error or misunderstanding in theological matters. Errors arise, often, out of misunderstanding. The key to preciseness is to know what you are talking about and how to communicate those ideas in understandable, and accurate, terminology. Unfortunately, too many believers don't know either one.

1 comment:

tom sheepandgoats said...

Here in our congregation, we collect bloopers. The way we have it set up, most anyone have occasions to give talks, and many give public prayer. But sometimes they're nervous.

"Forgive us for our falling shorts" is a favorite, as it relating that convention resolution many years ago in which all delegates rose to their feet and shouted a mighty Aye! (pronounced long "a"